Wednesday, November 9, 2022

DAYS AT SEA—TIME TO RELAX!

At Sea
Aboard Regal Princess
Stateroom C512
Wednesday, November 9, 2022
Sunny, 70ishF
 

We have had a very hectic week, so we welcome two sea days in a row to refocus and rest.  TK continues to get fresh brewed coffee on Deck 5 at the International Cafe every morning and brings it back to the room, thank goodness. That is how we started the day.

At 10 a.m. there was a “Meet and Greet” with those who are on Cruise Critic, the online “roll call” where people who are going on the same cruise chat and make private tour arrangements. There were over 100 people there. The benefit is that several ship’s officers attend, and we can ask questions. One question I was especially interested in was about the Internet service. It turns out that the Internet contractor discontinued service during Covid and they have yet to find a vendor. The officer said he hopes that Princess reaches an agreement with Star Link. I hope so too.  The service seems a bit better on this ship, mostly because I am reducing the megabyte size of my Canon photos.  A passenger mentioned a term that intrigued me about their new dining options, Marketing Myopia. I can imagine my dear granddaughter, B1, knows this term (one of her majors).

From the Internet: Marketing myopia is a shortsighted approach to business that excludes customer needs. A better understanding of marketing myopia will reveal potential marketing blind spots.  For example, Princess Cruise Lines unrolled their “Medallions” without asking consumers for input. The CC passengers at this meeting were seasoned cruisers and they were not happy with the dining options, the Internet, and a few other things.  

 At 2 p.m. we went to the Veterans and Military Personnel Get Together—there were at least 50 veterans there, men and women, representing every branch of the U.S. military, the Royal Navy, the Royal Air Force, as well as Canadian and Australian veterans.  Conflicts mentioned were Korean War, Vietnam War, the Falklands, Afghanistan, Iraq, the Gulf War, and the Cuban crisis, as well as those who served elsewhere during combat or peacetime. 

There were medics, pilots, parachute riggers, two military lawyers, a military dentist, a submariner, even a commander of Lackland Air Force Base, and more.  One woman had been in the military over 30 years and said if something happened to the Regal Princess captain, she could sail our cruise ship. I certainly believed her after she spoke of her experience. So many of these veterans had served more than four years.  What pride in their service I saw. We owe them.

 I was astonished at dinner tonight—first time ever in over 55 cruises that I ate everything on my plate, filet mignon, a potato cake, and the vegetables. The chef must have lost his mind because it is the first time ever that I saw peas, carrots, and corn as the vegetable. No lima beans, no green beans, no asparagus. What!?!??

 Anyway, that is enough for tonight.

At 3 p.m. TK and I went to an Arts and Crafts event to make poppies. If it weren't for the dear ladies
from Scotland who helped us, we would not  have finished.  I won't be teaching anyone to make 
poppies anytime soon.

Vista Lounge, open every day at 4 p.m. for Platinum and Elite cruisers
Appetizers, like cheeses, cheese sticks, and today a Mexican fried hors d'oeuvre

This is my Medallion--it is my room key, my ID, and indicates the soda and coffee package
I have so I can order soda anywhere on the ship (not our room though).  


I better slow down my reading--or I won't have enough books for 26 days. 
I finished White Death and I'm half-finished with Back of Beyond
Very deep books (insert smile here)

TK’s Takes:  He did not realize there were that many veterans aboard from all over the free world.  The International Café is completely different from the New England cruise in September—no lines! He had more “takes” but we did not write them down…so tomorrow!

 TK:  5,500

Janie:  5200, but I am adding 500 because I am going on deck tonight at 11:30 p.m. as we pass by Mount Etna to see the volcano glowing!  So 5700…  (ended up with 6000)

1 comment:

  1. Wear your poppies on your right side. So exciting and interesting, keep it going..


    ReplyDelete