Wednesday, August 12, 2026

TAILLIN, ESTONIA AND A PARTIAL SOLAR ECLIPSE

Wednesday, August 12, 2026
Tailinn, Estonia
63F, very windy, cloudy until the eclipse!

 

A gateway into a Medieval city!

What a quaint fairy tale city Taillin is! Medieval is definitely the word of the day! Tallinn, the capital of Estonia, sits on the Gulf of Finland. It blends one of Europe’s best-preserved medieval Old Towns—a UNESCO World Heritage site—with a world-leading, digital-first economy. Just 50 miles south of Helsinki, it is a highly walkable city known for its cobblestone streets and thriving tech scene.  Taillin is also considered the oldest capital in Europe. It is also considered one of the least polluted capitals in the world.


As of 2026, the population of Tallinn is estimated to be approximately 457,000 residents within the city limits.  Estonia, the smallest Baltic state has a population of about 1.3 million people.

Like the other Baltic countries we have visited, we can easily observe its Danish, Swedish, Russian, German, and Soviet Communist (Operation Barbarossa) roots. Established in the 12th century, it has seen its share of political turnovers. Just like the other countries, it overcame the time of the Russian tsars to be influenced by the Germans, then the Communists. Estonia was finally liberated in 1991 and is a Parliamentary Republic.

We heard the story of the Singing Revolution— in the late 1980s, massive demonstrations against the Soviet regime began. The Soviets were censoring religion and other freedoms in all three Baltic states. The opposition that wanted independence coordinated public song festivals as a key element of resistance. Tens of thousands of people sang national and folk songs in mass gatherings.  

Just as the Soviets were planning to destroy the Medieval walls of Taillin to make way for other construction, Estonia was liberated—we truly enjoyed those Medieval gates and walls today! 

In America we have no idea what such oppression is like.

It was very windy and chilly when we took the shuttle to an area closer to the Old Town—cost $12/each for round trip.

A bakery stop, a long climb to the Upper Old Town, souvenir shops, more amber, beautiful churches, and cobblestone streets that were not too treacherous.  Estonians easily admit to having lots of cold weather. Beautiful wool sweaters, socks, and scarves fill the shops, as well as amber, wooden kitchen utensils, felted hats, and the usual trinkets.


Love the color!

The Polish Embassy in Estonia
Note the Polish flag

Halfway up to Upper Old Town
You can do it!

The view was worth the climb!



TK should not have said, "Look, they're having sale..."
Note jacket, sweatshirt, and turtleneck!
Amber galore!
Amber does not weigh very much...
It floats in saltwater.
Plenty of room in my luggage for amber!

Readers need to know that the jewelry shop's
restroom was in the cellar--typical
in Europe. This one happens 
to be the oldest cellar in the 
Upper Old Town area

It did not cost me 1 euro, you
can guess why...

A government official's estate

Orthodox Church

Thankfully, we can still lots of steps to do that climb, but the view was worth it! The rest is all downhill.

TK decided he wanted to have something to eat, so we stopped at a square full of restaurants with outdoor seating (and blankets on every seat). Menus declared elk, bear, boar, and other such “delights.”  We opted for fried dumplings and fried dark bread (like pumpernickel), and 2 Coke Zeros.

Dumplings, foreground
dark bread, background
and TK!

The dumplings had a sausage filling (beef and pork, I asked), and that bread was garlicky, but both were delicious.

We were ready to return to the ship, caught the shuttle, and I prepared my camera and tripod for the partial solar eclipse. After dinner I found a spot on the Sun Deck #16. It was so windy I couldn’t use my tripod. It was too hard to hold the camera steady, so I had to give up. There were only a few people onboard with any interest in the celestial rarity, so TK, Chai and Maurice from Hawaii, and I watched the marvelous event together. 

View from Sapphire Princess of Taillin

haha--this is my camera's version of the sun
when I was practicing for the eclipse
I couldn't hold the camera still

SOLAR ECLIPSE
I purchased solar eclipse glasses, ISO 12312-2 certified —  the international standard that ensures the glasses block harmful UV, infrared, and intense visible light---before we left Erie. I already had a avery good  solar filter for my camera in 2023, before the year Erie was in the path of totality for a solar eclipse.  Brooke, Breanna, and I all had the right cameras, the right filters, tripods, and we all took decent photos! Brian was part of the camera crew too, as well as Randy.  I was prepared for the partial eclipse in Taillin!

Peak time was 8:02 p.m., Eastern European Summer Time.  If anyone knows me, they know I was on the top deck by 7 p.m., and a good thing, because it took an hour to set everything up. One other couple, the aforementioned Chai and Maurice, were right there with me.

I knew that Taillin was the in the path of totality, but it was predicted that 61% of the sun would be obscured.  Iceland, Greenland, and northern Spain got the full treatment, and there were cruises in those places, but this was the itinerary we really wanted.

All day it was very cloudy so I wasn't sure how this would go, but the clouds cleared about a half hour before the eclipse.  The moon took little bites out of the sun as time passed after 8:02--and in my opinion the sun ended up being at least 85% covered.  

Image from Warsaw, Poland



 



Tomorrow we will visit Helsinki!

2 comments:

  1. I am tired just reading all that you accomplished, whew....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it would be my favorite port so far!

    ReplyDelete