Monday, February 22, 2016

ANOTHER FLEAMARKET AND PACKING UP/AND HEADING NORTH ON TUESDAY

Travelers Rest Resort
Dade City, Florida
Sunday, February 21 and Monday, February 22, 2016
78 F, sunny

Again, as I write, I am sitting outdoors in short sleeves and capris--a wonderful way to spend February!

This morning when I walked to Busch Hall for morning coffee hour, I saw a cloud that looked like a beautiful fern frond. I took it as a message that I should be getting back to my World War I writing project!

After coffee hour, TK, Mary Lou, Scorchy, TRR Neighbor Gene, and I headed to Webster for the Monday Flea Market.  This flea market is not as large as Renningers in Mt. Dora, but the area is 35 acres with any item old or new, antiques, collectibles, plants, vegetables, flowers, birds (parrots, parakeets), jewelry, clothing, tools, and more.  I logged about 3 miles on my Fitbit while I explored every bit of it. I found blue glass sherbets and some other gift items. Mary Lou bought pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, and other fruit, plus two nice watches. Last year I bought a red and silver watch here for $12 and it’s still working!

I don’t know how many people were there, but it seemed like a lot! There is no charge for admittance, but parking is $2 or $3 depending on where one parks. We parked for free because Scorchy always asks if the entity gives a military discount. He is a treasured Korean War veteran/U.S. Army and very deserving of a discount!

There is a “restaurant” on site, as well as other food vendors, but I was too traveling fast to slow down for food. Thankfully everyone else was hungry so we decided to try the restaurant right across the street from the Fleamarket,   A & D Hayseed CafĂ©, with southern home style cooking.  Its buffet reminded me of the popular little Amish restaurant in Panama, New York. Choices included fried and baked chicken, roast beef, ham and pineapple, collard greens, green beans, corn, great mashed potatoes and gravy, salads, broccoli cheese soup, homemade applesauce, and many other items. I thought the fried chicken was super.  The desserts were ordinary, cake and peach cobbler. The service was good, the servers friendly.

On the way home, TK filled the truck’s gas tank for $1.57/gallon near Dade City. 

I certainly am not going to complain about the heat today, but it sure is warm! When we got back to TRR, we started packing. I hope there is still room in the truck! We are leaving by 8 a.m. tomorrow morning and hope to reach Mooresville, North Carolina. We are blessed to escape some of Erie's winter, but we don't want to miss Brother Bill's maple syrup season!

Sunday
It was a laid back day, but we did go to two open houses in TRR for Park model homes—that means that the place is about 40 ft. by 12 ft. with one bedroom, bath, kitchen, and living room. Some are sold with washer and dryer and a golf cart. We were especially tempted by one that backs up to a stream with an extra room added on and a screened in porch. Electric stove, new washer and dryer, electric golf cart (everyone rides around in a golf cart—it isn’t just for golfing), queen bed, and that extra room. There was plenty of room for a bit of gardening. Right now many annuals we have to wait until May 31 to plant are blooming here now. Very tempting and in the neighborhood of $58,000. At TRR one owns a share of the property, so everyone can vote on the rules (probably a lot of other benefits I don’t know about). One pays $3000 per year and that includes TV, Internet (which we believe is quite sketchy), water, and garbage. For an extra $300/year a resident can get unlimited golfing on the very nice 9 hole golf course. 

For dinner we went to quaint San Antonio to Pancho’s Villa for Mexican food—almost as good as our favorite Torero’s in Erie.

TK’s Takes: Haven’t seen a fly. It only rained once while we have been in Florida and that was at night. Webster’s Fleamarket is the biggest he has been to, but not many places to sit.



No comments:

Post a Comment