Tuesday, January 21, 2020

A QUIET DAY BY THE POOL!


Tuesday, January 21, 2020
Regal Princess
At Sea
78F, sunny

The seas are quite smooth as we make our way south on the Atlantic toward St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. We spent the day by the pool, a shady spot made just for me. Usually I keep moving but a book can settle me down. On this trip I have been reading some good ones!

TK  took a great photo of the main pool. In the background you can
see the Movies Under the Stars screen

 
This is the cabana area, another pool. TK  has made arrangements to 
be here on Friday, At Sea

When TK booked this cruise, we did not know that this was the 27th Annual Concerts at Sea / “Rock n Roll” cruise. That means there are bands on board providing concerts for those who paid about $300-$400 extra for the cruise. Here are the groups on board:
Paul Revere’s Raiders, The Yardbirds, Peter Rivera (formerly of Rare Earth), The Flamingos, The Lettermen, Jay Michaels, The Grass Roots, Ron Dante of the Archies, Tom Garrett of Classics IV, Jackson Haney, and J.R. & The Stingrays. 

A  lot of stateroom doors have this poster on them


Sadly, I never paid attention to names of groups or individual band members in my younger years, except for my favorite songs/singers, so I don’t recognize all these names, except Paul Revere and the Raiders-Yardbirds-Lettermen, and that’s about it.  TK does recognize more of them. I was thinking that we are amongst famous people, but I don’t know them!

Because we had to wait 30-40 minutes for a table at dinner the last two evenings, I went to Guest Services to mention that it is really better for me to eat before 6 p.m. Anna said she would get in touch with the Maitre D’ and let me know if that was possible. This morning when I called for reservations, I was told that the only available times were 7:45 and 8 p.m.  About an hour later the Maitre D’ actually phoned and asked me if 5:30 would be OK. Of course! 

Tonight was a formal evening. When we got to the dining room, we were taken straight to our table for the rest of the week where we met Nadia from Argentina. What a pleasant person she is! She said the Maitre D’ wanted us to have wine for the evening, but we told her we did not drink. I ordered my soda, TK his iced tea. Before we knew it, an Assistant Maitre D’ was at our table—he said he heard that we did not care for wine and asked if we would like to order from the special menu. Yes! So, I ordered filet mignon and baked potato and TK ordered Surf and Turf-lobster tail and filet mignon.  That was certainly an extra surprise, because when guests order from that menu, there is an extra charge!

The menu we were able to choose from,
compliments of the Maitre D'Hotel!

The area where the Maitre D' was making Bananas Foster tonight,
across from our table

After dinner we went to the show in the Princess Theater, “Bravo.” It was a mixture of classic light opera and popular music, complete with a 9 piece orchestra, dancers (including ballet), and singers, even a guest soprano.  Numbers ranged from Unchained Melody, Queen’s Somebody to Love, and I Dreamed a Dream from Les Misérables, to James Bond’s Skyfall. We thoroughly enjoyed the show.

Princess Theater before the show


I have to get a good night’s sleep for shopping in St. Thomas! Where are Donna and Gwenda when I need them!

TK’s Takes: He found two new pools, one aft and one forward which were warm! He also thinks that cruise ships should have more electrical outlets in the rooms.


No comments:

Post a Comment