Wednesday, January 18, 2017

WALKING AROUND OLD SAN JUAN

Tuesday, January 17, 2017                mid 76 F, sunny
San Juan, Puerto Rico / ms Oosterdam

Room service knocked at our door and we awakened to Continental breakfast, lots of fruit, and a few pastries, including croissants.  TK headed straight to the pool and I learned more about how to make Cortana my personal assistant.

We met for a modest lunch in the buffet—fresh fruit is always so plentiful on a cruise. I tried a slice of pizza and it was remarkably good. As I have said before, food on a ship is never what it seems, but the pizza and burgers are good. I am a fan of simple dishes.

The Oosterdam sailed by El Morro, the old Spanish fort from the mid-1700s and we knew we were at San Juan, about 12:30 p.m. Our balcony faced the city this time and we could see two other ships in port—cruise lines we had not seen before-Aida and Viking (Viking is expanding from river cruises).
We disembarked at 1 p.m. and walked right past the El Galeon, the Spanish ship that visited Tall Ships Erie 2016 in September.  No lines! Our family waited 2.5 hours to board this ship in Erie! I wish I had brought the El Galeon t-shirt with me that D, B, and B1 gave me for my birthday!

We visited some of our favorite shops, Del Sol (items all change colors in the sun) and Cariloha (bamboo fabric). TK did a good job of scouting for maps and information for Friend H who will be in Puerto Rico at Easter.

The traffic was terrible—old one lane streets backed up for at least 10 blocks, probably more. We were told that PR is still celebrating Christmas and tomorrow is a festival day. I’m not sure how that explains the traffic, but so it goes.

We walked up hill and downhill on uneven bricks and sidewalks without mishap to see El Morro up close. It is a U.S. National Park and we toured it awhile back. On the way back we had Pina Coladas at Barrachina Restaurant, known as the origin of the Pina Colada. We have been there before in the beautiful courtyard with lush vegetation and live parrots.

By the time we returned to the ship, it was time for dinner. We have settled into a routine with standing reservations for a table for two in the Vista dining room at 5:30 p.m. with Mariyadi and Haris, both from Indonesia. Mariyada explained that all servers are from Indonesia, all kitchen people and the cooks are from the Philippines, and the cabin stewards are from both countries.  I had Southern fried chicken and TK tried seared corvana, a delicate fish that he decided he really liked.

After dinner we decided to go to Walgreen’s right near the port to get large bottles of water – 1.5 L for $.99 vs. the ship’s 1.5 L for $3.95. The temperature is still in the 70s and warm!

I’m closing now because I have to get ready for St. Thomas tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TK’s Takes:  Donna, we went to Walgreens just for you!  Two more ships came into port in the afternoon, the new Carnival Vista and the RCCL Anthem of the Seas.  These two ships are much bigger than the Oosterdam, behemoths! We walked all the way to the fort (he did not mention his knee replacement in March 2016—so happy that he is walking well!) We really like our waiters. It is really warm.

UPDATE: First, when I logged in yesterday I found that my Internet usage was over 150 minutes for 3 times uploading my blog. HAL does not have an Internet desk, but I am investigating this issue with customer service. I have logged off each time and all that I do is download the document into the blog and place the photos in, timed at 17-20 minutes per day. We shall see what develops. This is not a huge concern in the scope of things.

We are at the Green House in St. Thomas with sketchy Wi-Fi and I am trying to download the Win 10 update, hahaha.. However, without Donna and especially Gwenda, I am shopping and shopping, oh no!


If I do not continue the blog, you will know that my technical difficulties have not been resolved. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment