Monday, January 9, 2017

GOOD BY ERIE, HELLO SUNSHINE!


Monday, January 9, 2017 / Hampton Inn /Rock Hill, SC / 33 F
The Chevy Avalanche was loaded last night and we only had a few things to do before we left, so departure was prompt at 7:30 a.m. The roads were wet, but clear, and the temperature was a warm 15 F.  Near Pittsburgh there was only some snow. West Virginia was cloudy with some sun, dry roads, but snow on the ground, with 18 F.

Even with Brad Thor’s Foreign Influence audiotape to make the miles pass by, West Virginia seems way too long and way too hilly. The Internet is sketchy and our phones have to be set on airplane mode so we are not charged with roaming. Usually we do not see so much snow after Meadville.  As we were passing the steep hills, we could see the 5-10 foot icicles hanging of the huge rocks by the road. However, we made a special stop at Flatwoods—the Fiesta Outlet store always seems to call our name.  I quickly made a few purchases (beautiful colors, good quality). We ate TK’s famous tuna pitas in the truck and away we went.


Everything Fiesta Shop at Flatwoods, WV Outlet Mall






Virginia still had snow, a rare site for us, but the gasoline was $2.15 a gallon in Wytheville, VA. By North Carolina the snow was 4-8 inches deep on the ground, but the roads were dry. Yesterday my cousin Jill left Gettysburg at 6:30 a.m. and did not get to her South Carolina destination until 10 p.m. because the snow and accidents were so bad. This fact worried us some, but we really had smooth driving. They traveled I-95 and our route was I-79 to I-77.
As we were leaving NC to drive into SC, we saw the most beautiful sunset. This is what it looked like out the windshield at 70 mph.

Sunset near Charlotte, NC.

We are thankful to be safe and sound. TK is an excellent and confident driver.

I promised Randy and Brian that I would be succinct this year, hahahaha. The blog is only required reading for our sons—B1 suggested that this year I actually give them a test when we get home. What a great idea!

TK’s Takes: There should be more Rest Stops in West Virginia, open rest stops, that is. The Charlotte traffic was not too bad today at 5:30 p.m., but it is almost as bad as driving around DC. There is no easy way around Charlotte, but 3-lane I-485 South makes it a little easier.

P.S. Tonight the Internet was very difficult to access and then getting into the blog requires signing out of Gmail and into Yahoo. Yahoo requires that I verify with an access code sent to my phone. Since I will not be able to use my phone on the cruise, I may not be able to blog. Oh No! I will try to research on the Internet that I can barely access.... A  lot of hoops!

No comments:

Post a Comment