Saturday, January 16, 2016

OLD AND NEW FRIENDS, MALLS, AND UBER!
Hampton Inn – Fort Lauderdale Airport North
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Saturday, January 16, 2016
80 F

I’m writing this while our family in Erie/Jamestown is snow skiing and snowboarding at Peek n Peak! Quite a contrast!

What a fun day!  We were on the highway before 8 a.m. and the drive from Titusville to Sawgrass Mills Mall took about 3 hours on a perfectly sunny day!  First we hit the Tommy Bahamas Outlet, but there weren’t any deals there that we hadn’t already bought—ha ha!  This mall is huge with 350 stores!  It is the eighth largest mall in the United States, the largest single story mall in the U.S., and the second largest mall in Florida. The upscale stores include Kate Spade, Michael Kors, Diane von Furstenberg, TB, Versace, Prada, and at least 25 more. There are many other shops from Chico’s to Ron Jon’s to Target, and everything in between, except Sephora.  That said, what did we buy? Another suitcase.  Anyone who has seen our basement knows that is ridiculous, but I needed a carry on that would fit my 10 inch laptop, the iPad, and my stuff for my hair, face, and dental stuff. What can I say?

And, if you are anywhere near a Cheesecake Factory, STOP NOW, and try their Lemon Meringue Cheesecake! Oh my gosh, heavenly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheesecake Factory, Sawgrass Mills Mall, Fort Lauderdale

After the mall, we headed for our Hampton Inn to get ready for dinner with our friends at Coconuts on the waterfront. As I was organizing my new suitcase, TK said, “I’m ready, are you?” Well, sort of. He had taken it upon himself to try out Uber and had already ordered it. Quickly we dashed for the lobby. In a very short time a very clean Toyota Prius drove up and Andrew drove us to Coconuts. He was so very friendly and told us that he is a software designer but does Uber in his spare time.  Because of the traffic the drive took ½ hour, but the ride was very pleasant and I sure am glad that TK did not have to drive. Turns out one’s first Uber ride is free!

We were so happy to see Nancy and Brian from Ukiah, CA again (I think this is our 4th or 5th trip together). We met their friends, Denise and Mike and Bobbi and Rick, also from California. I sure enjoyed talking with them. It wasn’t long before Colin and Gwenda (England) and Donna and Lawrence (Wisconsin) arrived---what fun to see our friends!!  It’s going to be one heck of a cruise.


Coconuts at the Waterfront, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
http://coconutsfortlauderdale.com/
cropped-header-contact.jpg
Image from Coconuts' website

After dinner we walked with Lawrence and Donna and Colin and Gwenda to their hotel where TK ordered our Uber back to the Hampton Inn. He no sooner typed in the information on the Uber app on his phone and a Nissan Sentra drove up for us. I couldn’t believe it! What was even harder to believe was the ride back to the hotel only cost $8.11. Can you believe that? TK sure knows what he is doing!

TK’s Takes: “I haven’t been in an elevator since the trip started.” In reference to the fact that we have been staying on the first floor of our hotels. The mall is too big and it is confusing. [jk note: no, it isn’t]. Finally, “Uber is the best!”

Note to Friend H: Thanks for trying out Uber first! We love it too!

Note to Friend M: I love love love my blue, green, teal fiber necklace!!!


Note to Friend Mj: A comment on my blog! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment