Thursday, December 5, 2013

LAZY DAYS AT SEA

Thursday, December 5, 2013
Ruby Princess on the Atlantic Ocean / 5:00 p.m. Atlantic / 12 p.m. Erie
Sunny, 68 F, calm seas

I was mistaken when I wrote that we had passed Gibraltar Tuesday night and sailed into the Atlantic.  I was so happy that I did not miss that show!! Last night about 9:45 p.m. (Wednesday) on our balcony on the port side, we saw many lights from land. We realized it was North Africa. I quickly went on deck to the starboard side so that I could see Gibraltar quite close and Spain at a distance. The land lights on both sides of the Straits of Gibraltar looked like church votive candles dancing and flickering in the dark. The bright stars overhead added another effect. 

Now we are sailing smoothly in the Atlantic Ocean headed southwest toward Madeira, Portugal, an island south of the Azores.  No land in sight!

TK spent the day by the pool. I went to a lecture, “The Process of Writing Historical Fiction,” given by author Thomas Williams. I learned a few things about this genre. Mr. Williams has written a trilogy that traces his main character from World War I, World War II, and his protégé in the Vietnam War. Tom Williams is a Vietnam veteran with quite a story himself. When I asked if he had written it down, he told me no, yet he writes of war.

This afternoon I saw Great Expectations (2012), based on a Dickens novel. Two hours long. Ralph Fiennes and Helena Bonham Carter. Well done, but long.

Dinner soon, then TK wants to see Man of Steel.

This would not be a good cruise for B1 and B2. I am sure that activities are created for the very few children aboard (I have only seen 3, a girl about 8, and 2 boys probably 12 and 13), but it would not be as fun as having a bunch!  No towel animals so far either. There are cartoons on TV, but cartoons could be tiresome for 15 days straight.

Today’s Princess Morning Show mentioned that Internet service will not be very good on the crossing---satellites are focused on land, not oceans! I do not know how much longer I can post.

TK’s Takes: Nice day for a swim. Pools are heated, fresh water.

Note to remember:  When crossing the Atlantic west to east, port side is best because the stateroom gets full sun. When crossing east to west, starboard side is best.  Fortunately, we remembered that!        

I cannot access my Verizon account, so I can only use Yahoo this trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment