Friday, November 29, 2013

MEDITERRANEAN SEA, aboard RUBY PRINCESS

November 29, 2013 / 8 p.m. Europe—2 p.m. EST/ calm seas

This morning we walked for several hours along Las Ramblas and lovely medieval passage ways with a stop at the Market. This vast market is such a sensory experience, with fresh produce, beef, veal, lamb, chicken, fish and other seafood, eggs of all sizes (even emu), the spices, the nuts, mushrooms (43 different kinds in one booth), candies, pastries, Brian’s olives (this time I counted and there were 30 different kinds-stuffed with various things or marinated in various oils, etc.), and things I can never unsee again.  I won’t explain in this brief blog, and I saw many items at market when I lived in France a year, but today I saw some things that could turn me into a vegetarian.

We returned to the Hotel Pulitzer (a hotel I recommended on Trip Advisor) about 12:30, retrieved our luggage, and took a taxi to the Ruby Princess.  Boarding the ship was very smooth—TK thinks of everything (charge cards & passports registered, location of ship’s areas studied ahead of time).

Our balcony stateroom is such a bonus, with ample closet space, a desk, lots of drawers and shelves, and a regular bathroom. Our stateroom experience last year on the NCL Epic when we cruised the Med really jolted us (translucent toilet capsule, translucent shower capsule, sink in the bed area) but we are very pleased with the Ruby.

We toured the ship thanks to a scavenger hunt. It is about 50 F today, so we won’t be swimming soon. The captain warned of heavy seas to come tonight, so we will take Bonine before going to bed.

Tomorrow we arrive in the port of Toulon, France where we have arranged a bus ride to Aix, the city I love. We are meeting with the Alumni Director of the school that I attended in the late 60s for lunch at La Rotonde, the restaurant where I had my first “hamburger sandwiche and pommes frites (real French fries)”, and two of my favorite desserts, Poire Helene (pears, vanilla ice cream, and chocolate sauce) and Peche Melba (peaches, vanilla ice cream, and raspberry sauce). 

TK’s takes: He is starting to remember more about Barcelona when he was in the Navy, e.g. chickens roasted on a spit on open fires and sold in alleys, the friendly people.  Easiest embarkation ever, we walked right on, great stateroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment