Wednesday, January 13, 2010

WISTFUL IN WYTHEVILLE, VIRGINIA



This is our house two days before we left Erie (January 11)!!


Icicles at New River Gorge in West Virginia on January 13.


441 miles from home!
Believe it or not, we were able to get on the road by 9 a.m. for our land, air, sea adventure! TK made tuna fish sandwiches for our lunch and then loaded our suitcases (all 8 of them, plus the laptop, plus the camera bags, cooler, and tote bag for my journal, etc.) TK remarked that the truck was already full! However, there was room for me after all!

It was 19 F and clear when we left Erie and the roads were dry with not much traffic. We stopped in Grove City to pick up a few things for the $10 gift exchange for two of the cruises. Our gift bags each contain Pulakos sponge candy, beach glass that TK and I collected on Lake Erie, a Steelers golf ball, an Erie mint tin, and a Niagara post card.

We are listening to The Strain on DVD, a book by Chuck Hogan. It is just our style: a vampiric virus has been found in New York City and could infect the entire world. We listened for about 3 hours and there is plenty of intrigue. Ron Perlman is the reader.

We saw lots of white-tailed deer, even a herd of over 25. Turkeys, too.

We stopped at New River Gorge in West Virginia, like last year. Icicles were hanging from the visitor center roof-about 32 F by this time.




I also spotted an outlet mall with a Fiesta store in Flatwood, West Virginia. TK was willing to stop and the next thing I knew we had a big box for the truck. At this rate, we will have to rent a U-Haul to bring all the anticipated souvenirs home.

We arrived in Wytheville, Virginia (Hampton Inn-Max Meadows) by 5 p.m., our stop for the night.

I finished my tuna sandwich and TK went to Wendy's for a chicken sandwich. I told him I was going to eat conservatively because I have to lose at least 3 pounds, if not 10, before the cruises or I won't fit into the clothes I brought. He was real excited about that.


TK's Takes: "It is still cold." He can still see snow.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MJ: You are doing a great job including pictures. I love the one with the icicles hanging in the window. It's cool. I bet B1 will love seeing the pics, too.

    ReplyDelete