Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A WHALE SPOUTED NEAR ZIHUATANEJO, MEXICO!


Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Another sunny day in the Pacific!

While I was enjoying my Continental breakfast about 7:30 a.m. on the balcony, about 10 miles away from Zihuatenjo (zee-wah-tah-nay-ho), I heard the strangest noise, a cross between a pig snort and a horse snort, at the same time that I saw water spouting. A whale emerged from the sea! I sort of cried out an exclamation just as TK was coming out to the balcony. We both saw about 15 foot of the whale about 30 ft. away from the ship. We had been observing lots of small fish jumping out of the water, but we had no idea that we would see such a marvelous sight. After that, we were able to keep track of the whale swimming about, mostly just under the sea. We also started to see dolphins playing about nearby. This is the way to spend an early morning!!!!

We tendered to the small fishing village of Zihuatenejo. We strolled by restaurants along the town streets, small shops, a market, and fishing boats unloading their catch. After our spending spree yesterday we did not splurge today. The vendors were so different than those in Acapulco, not aggressive at all. I found mesh tote bags featuring Frida Kahlo, a well-known Mexican artist who was married to Diego Rivera. I asked the merchant if the Mexican people like Kahlo more than Rivera and he said they did-I expected this response. We enjoyed a plate of tortilla chips with a cheese and refried beans topping and fresh salsa, with “Coca Cola Light” at Porto di Mer Restaurant/Bar. (aside: I have had Coca Cola Light in France, Italy, Toronto, and now Mexico and it tastes sooooo much better than Diet Coke. Why don’t we have this product in the U.S.????). Even though we were served ice with the pop, we had no problems!

Back on the ship we sunned by the pool. I can tell the sun is very strong here, but sunscreen has prevented sunburn. I am reading Dry Ice by Stephen White, a psychological thriller, a delicious beach book!

I think the Carnival Spirit will be one of our favorite ships. It has the feel of a Princess or NCL ship, our cabin is more than ample, the staff is extremely friendly, the public areas are easily accessible to our cabin, absolutely no rudeness because I have a Coke card, the food is good, and it isn’t very crowded. The elevators are usually empty when we buzz them and there are no lines anywhere, even with tendering. Room service arrives at exactly the time I request (7:30 a.m.)

Tonight’s dinner with Lawrence and Donna included peach cream soup, fried mozzarella, flat-iron steak, baked potato, and chocolate melting cake. We shared Acapulco and Zihuatenejo experiences. In Acapulco they bought some very nice silver jewelry in the same marketplace we went to and in Z-town they enjoyed a beautiful beach. We took a look at photos after dinner- one of me looks like I was holding onto an electrical fence and here I thought my hair was blowing beautifully in the wind at the time. It was good for a laugh anyway.

We need to get to sleep early tonight as Wednesday we are going deep sea fishing in Manzanillo at 7 a.m.!

TK’s Takes: He bought a Mexican wrestling mask (like “Bolivar’s” we were told). It is black and gold and he really likes it. When I first saw them, I thought they were evil. He liked the sailfish displayed by a fisherman as we first walked onto the pier.

Aside to B1 and B2: Playing monster will never be the same!
Every night there is a different towel animal on our bed when we return from dinner and the show: a dinosaur, a little Chinese boy, a crab, a frog

No comments:

Post a Comment