Wednesday, February 1, 2023

MARTINIQUE 2023! FRENCH SPOKEN HERE! AND ELVIS IS IN THE HOUSE!

Caribbean Princess
Martinique, West Indies
87F, sunny, hot, served up with a nice breeze!


My view as I write! 

Martinique greeted us this sunny, hot morning. The island is part of the West Indies, Lesser Antilles and is an overseas region of France. Our ship is docked in Fort-de-France. This afternoon I am writing from our balcony in view of the steep hills and small villages. I can see what remains of a fort and many small sailboats on the peaceful bay. Or let’s say they look small compared to our ship.

 

Martinique welcomes us!

TK and I walked through parts of the city, the largest on the island with a population of about 76,000. The streets were filled with people either shopping, eating at small delis or sidewalk cafes, or hurrying to work.  We did not see many cruise passengers walking around.    

Streets along the way

Another busy street


There were at least 3 fabric stores with signs promoting items for  
making one’s Mardi Gras outfit—such vibrant colors and patterns.


The market was interesting, and I always notice the pride with which the vendors display their goods—arranged so neatly, whether vegetables, fruits, spices, clothing, or any other item.  I think about how this is their livelihood, and they depend on their sales.  Martinique is not a wealthy country, yet the people are industrious and friendly. Their language is French or Creole and I enjoyed  hearing their friendly “Ca va? or “Bonjour.”

 

The market

The mall was full of sales and reminded me of a mall just outside Paris near the CDG airport. Only one shop had a familiar name, The Colors of Benetton. 50% off everywhere!

TK loves malls

 

City Hall

Close up of the Traveler's Palm

Our botany lesson for the day!
I took a photo of City Hall (Hotel de Ville) and realized I had never seen this type of palm tree before. I love it! But it is not really a palm. With some Internet digging, I found out they are "Travelers Palms."

The rest of the story:  Botanical name: Ravenala madagascariensis              Traveler’s palm is not a true palm variety. It is part of the  Strelitziaceae family and is related to the bird-of-paradise plants. It is native to Madagascar but is cultivated all around the world.  It features a long trunk topped by huge leaves arranged in a single plain, giving them a fan-like appearance. The leaves can accumulate water at their base. It is said that the water can actually be used for drinking purposes by thirsty travelers.

Back aboard the ship we had breakfast (Buffet served till 11 a.m.). Then poolside for book reading—the life of leisure!

Dinner was unremarkable. Sirloin steak, apple streudel--both very good.  Our servers are great-Virgilio and Crista, both from the Philippines. 

After dinner we secured good seats under the stars for tonight's feature, Elvis.  The partial moon shone over us and the stars were bright. It was warm on deck, too. I thought the movie was well done, although I came away really really disliking Colonel Parker, Elvis' manager.  Austin Butler is worthy of awards. It was good to hear Elvis' songs again.  

When we returned to our room it was freezing again--and we cannot raise the temperature. Guest services were called, we shall see what happens. I would say the temp could get to the low 60s. More drama--ha!

3 comments:

  1. I hope you have extra blankets for your room. How is your French?cold again here. Tomorrow will have chills below zero, just think what u are missing, enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you missed it, Phil made an appearance, little rodent...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We saw the little rodent on TV--how dare ha! My French is rusty, but I can still understand it and read it!

    ReplyDelete