Sunday, September 25, 2022

LOBSTER ROLL AND NEWPORT, RHODE ISLAND!

 Sunday, September 25, 2022

Enchanted Princess/Newport, Rhode Island

Low 70s, cloudy to sunshine—fine walking weather

This morning I did not feel well at all and did not want to get up. Of course, TK was out and about getting his favorite coffee, showering, and dressed, not necessarily in that order. I dragged myself out of bed and thought, oh my gosh, my age is catching up with me now and how am I ever going to make it through Europe next month. Even coffee could not make me think of anything else but more sleep.  I forced myself through the morning routine and by 9:30 a.m. we were aboard the shuttle to Newport. Bed still beckoned.

 At the port we picked up some information about the area and headed for a “free” trolley that would take us on a 40-minute tour of the mansions and the Cliff Walk.  In the middle of this ride I started feeling better and soon realized it was the Bonine that had caused my sluggishness, thank goodness!

The mansions are absolutely amazing, and I cannot imagine living in one (I would sure like to try though!).  There is just one after another all along the coast in this area, one bigger than the next. Most represent the Gilded Age in America. 

Marble House, one of the most opulent of the Gilded Age
cottages, was built for Alva and William Vanderbilt to announce the 
family's rise to the pinnacle of high society.
Designed by Richard Morris--500,000 cubic feet of marble and 
a ballroom covered in gold leaf

And a few more mansiions I would like to imagine living in:




 

We returned to Newport and walked along the area—lots of quaint shops and restaurants.  TK has noted that he wants to try lobster roll at every stop, so we were looking at places for that. The travel kiosk at the port told us the best lobster rolls were available at the food truck right next to the kiosk. We kept this in mind.

a Newport street

Benjamin's Bar and Restaurant

Benjamin's was the only place that showed prices on the menu posted outside 

Before I knew it, TK ordered his lobster roll ($20) and did not get me one. He shared two bites with me and it was heavenly.  He did purchase it at the kiosk, which turned out to be the Newport Lobster Shack, run by a fishermen's co-op. The water shuttle arrived and 
we went back to the ship. No lobster roll for me yet.

TK's lobster roll!

When we returned to the ship via water shuttle, TK opted for the top deck. He got these great photos that I had requested:



Imagine my surprise when I saw this beauty. It is the SSV Oliver Hazard Perry, the Rhode Island flagship. It measures just about 208 ft long with a 38 ft beam and is a three masted square-rigged tall ship. Built in 2015, the Oliver Hazard Perry is the first ocean-going full-rigged ship to be built in the United States in 110 years. It is named for the young Rhode Island hero of the Battle of Lake Erie who on September 10, 1813 wrote, “We have met the enemy and they are ours…” It is docked just off of Fort Adams, a former United States Army post in Newport, Rhode Island that was established on July 4, 1799 as a First System coastal fortification, named for President John Adams who was in office at the time. Its first commander was Captain John Henry who was later instrumental in starting the War of 1812. The current Fort Adams was built 1824–57 under the Third System of coastal forts; it is part of Fort Adams State Park today.

 



Enchanted Princess

TK snapped this photo on the top deck of the water shuttle.  This is still considered the maiden voyage year of the Enchanted Princess.  It was built in 2020, but because of Covid, it did not sail till November 1, 2021. 

1083 ft.long
217 ft. high
126 ft. beam
19 decks
3660 guest capacity
1346 crew members
3 main dining rooms.
Last night we learned there are 2900 Americans on board, and the ship is not full, with about 3200 passengers.


TK's Takes: Formal night on cruise ships is going by the way side. Some people were wearing jeans to in the dining room, once taboo. The weather has been nice so far. Starbucks in Newport closed at 11:30 a.m. so we couldn't get a souvenir mug.


1 comment:

  1. When I read your blog it is as if I with you enjoying the sites but no lobster roll damn

    ReplyDelete