Saturday, April 2, 2022

A RAINBOW GREETED US AT ST. THOMAS AND LED US TO A POT OF GOLD!

 St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands

Saturday, April 2, 2022

76F, mostly sunny--some sprinkles

Two years is a long time to be away from St. Thomas!! This morning we were greeted by a beautiful rainbow that welcomed us to this fabulous island!



TK and I were happy to dock at Havensight. As we disembarked from the ship, the palm trees were swaying in a gentle Caribbean breeze. We found our way to the nearby taxi "open air wagons" (still $6/pp) for a short ride to Charlotte Amalie, the shopping center developed just for me. At first sight we were a little shocked at the number of shops that have closed. TK speculated that half are no longer there.  Many of the watch stores are gone as well as some of the bigger jewelry shops.  TK said that Senor Frog has permanently closed in St. Thomas, a popular bar and restaurant with the younger crowd.

I zeroed in on Alpha, a jewelry store that I really really like. Sonny, the owner, and Ivana were very helpful, and I found two rings just for me. First was a setting for my original engagement diamond. Second was a gold ring that I think is spectacular. These are the 3rd and 4th rings I have purchased at Alpha Jewelers.  

Charlotte Amalie and Alpha Jewelers

2022:  TK in the King's Chair at Alpha


2019:  TK in the King's Chair at Alpha
He is so patient!!

While the rings were being sized, TK and I continued to walk along the main street, and we stopped by a souvenir shop along the waterfront, also owned by Sonny and his wife, "I Love St. Thomas."  Everyone has enough souvenirs and B1 and B2 are older, so we really do not purchase many.

Traditionally we have lunch at the St. Thomas Greenhouse Restaurant on the waterfront. Donna and Lawrence went to Sapphire Beach today and met us afterwards at the Greenhouse. TK and I had the best nachos and cheese appetizer. Lawrence also ordered the nachos appetizer and I have never seen anyone eat so many jalapeno peppers, at least 20 oz.  Who can do that??

Finally, we returned to Alpha to pick up my new rings as well as my other two—wow!  My fingers are glittery and golden now! Donna found a ring too—and it fit without sizing. They told Donna that she has “showcase fingers.”

We quickly found a taxi after all the glitter and found our way back to the ship. 

After Dinner----

We have settled in to dining about 5:30 p.m. with Donna and Lawrence.   TK and Lawrence had sea scallops--TK counted exactly 6 scallops mixed in with potatoes that looked like scallops. He said they were good.  I must improve my details--TK had some sort of pecan pie with caramel  and Lawrence and Donna had a chocolaty something. They all looked good. Princess definitely focuses on chocolate desserts.

Chocolaty something, but it looks great

Pecan pie


TK’s Takes: He was very pleased that he saw the rainbow this morning.  He likes Marge's pecan pie better, made with maple syrup.

Just for Lawrence:

The restaurant almost charged him $12 for all the jalapenos he ordered


No comments:

Post a Comment