Wednesday, January 23, 2019

SMOOTH TRUCKING TO ROCK HILL, SC

Fairfield Inn
Rock Hill, SC
49F

Bye, Bye Erie. 23 January 2019


It was a long day for TK who expertly drove his GMC Sierra through the hills of West Virginia and Virginia, through North Carolina, and just over the line to South Carolina from 8:13 a.m./Erie to 6:35 p.m./Rock Hill, SC.  I have the easy job as passenger. How did we amuse ourselves while driving? We started listening to the psychological thriller on tape, Girl on the Train. That lasted about an hour. We both decided that this book, while it might interest us in another venue, was not the right fit as we drove.

Our favorite, traditional stop, New River Gorge National Park was closed due to the government shut down, so TK promised me a stop at Tamarack so we could eat our tuna pita sandwiches. Tamarack, The Best of West Virginia, is the all time best rest stop, but TK does not like to stop there because I dawdle too much. The stop features WV glass makers, quilts, and so many other arts and crafts done solely in West Virginia. Beauty abounds and I was excited--we had not stopped there in years. To my dismay we were greeted at the door by a man who told us the dining and rest room areas were open, but the rest was closed for inventory. Are you kidding me?????? TK agrees to stop and the most beautiful arts and crafts are not accessible to me. Aargh!! Did TK know in advance? No, I am sure he did not!!

Our selfie, Tamarack, West Virginia 

Tamarack, the Best of West Virginia


After we ate our delicious sandwiches (made by Chef TK), TK got back on the road and turned the radio to 70s music and I read magazines, the Erie newspaper, Erie Reader, and then I  turned to the USA Today crosswords I save over the year.

TK has WiFi in the truck so I read my email and Facebook. I checked out Words with Friends, but Friend Heather was working and sadly did not drop everything to set up a few words!

The temperature in Pittsburgh was about 49F and just a few miles into West Virginia it was 60F. That was a great surprise. Last year we saw snow all the way through to North Carolina. My winter coat, my Cuddl Duds, and boots became heavier and heavier. By the time we got to Charlotte, NC, the traffic did not disappoint. At least we were never completely stopped in traffic.

TK had the hotel programmed in and the ETA was quite accurate--we arrived at our hotel at 6:35 p.m. TK said he was fine, not tired. He did a great job driving. The roads were mostly dry and just an occasional sputtering of rain. It is a bit cooler now, but no more boots, winter coats, etc.!!!

TK Takes:  It was like springtime on the way down, not January!

No comments:

Post a Comment