Tuesday, October 6, 2026

LUGGAGE AND HOW TO USE DUCT TAPE

Tuesday, October 6, 2026
Aboard the Island Princess, Atlantic Ocean
85F


Wasn't this a nice photo of TK's luggage before we
left Erie? Locks, zippers, even!
October 5, 2026/Erie

Last evening after I wrote the blog, there was an interesting, yet frustrating development. First, I noticed there was no longer a lock on one of my checked luggage bags, but everything seemed to be in place.  TK checked his bags—no locks, no zipper pulls on either of his bags. That meant when he went to open the bags, the whole lid opened, never to be sealed again. 

Here is where we were lucky—everything in both his bags seemed to be intact. Things could have been much different---all of his belongings could have spilled out in some airport/airplane somewhere, things could have been stolen, OR we could have never seen the bags or items again.  So, we are acutely aware that the situation could have been worse.

What to do???  It was about 8:30 p.m.  I went to the Hilton's front desk to see if they had a solution, all I could think of was duct tape.  The hotel clerk, who used to work at American Airlines, told me there was a Walgreens about 2 blocks away, and that they sold duct tape.

I started walking to the drugstore when I thought, I do not have my phone, TK does not know what I am doing, I don’t know the area, it was dark, and I can’t even see this Walgreens. After walking a block and a half I started back to the hotel.

Despite being very weary after dinner, he went with me—and Walgreens had duct tape and Gorilla tape-we bought both, just before the store closed.  My hero...

Back at the hotel, after 13,000 steps or so this day, we were both tired, but I called the American Airline phone # the clerk gave me—someone answered! But she told me over six hours had passed since we arrived by plane. They could do nothing. She provided me an email to write to.

OK, Janie, you do not need to write every single detail.  By this time, it was 11 p.m. and we left the rest for Tuesday (today).

Today we woke up early to take care of the situation, our transport to the cruise terminal was scheduled for 11 a.m.  I wrote a detailed email to American Airlines “Central Baggage Specialist.”  I realize my English teaching skills are not helping me here, but I was sort of succinct in the email, included photos, and told them I was sure it wasn’t theft or vandalism because nothing was missing.

We could have been more artistic!
This morning, October 6, 2026

Imagine my surprise when the Central Baggage Specialist answered me!

Dear Mary,

Thanks for contacting our Central Baggage Resolution Office. We are sorry your bags were damaged when you traveled with us to Fort Lauderdale for your cruise.

We are unable to honor your claim because the damages reported are not covered as they are a result of normal wear and tear. Normal wear and tear includes, but is not limited to, protrusions that may be caught in the belt system such as tags, straps, pockets, handles, hooks, locks, and/or other attachments that can occur when the ordinary standard of expected care is exercised. Therefore, American Airlines isn’t able to assume liability for damages resulting from normal wear and tear.

For more information about liability limits, please read our Conditions of Carriage at:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/conditions-of-carriage.jsp#baggageliability

Mary, we understand this was not the outcome you were hoping for, and despite that, we hope to see you onboard another American Airlines flight soon.
Sincerely,
Michelle B, Central Baggage Specialist
Case Owner ID: 23***

Well that’s that. I answered her that I was sure that Am Air would help us when we returned on November 25 to fly back to Erie. 

Dear Mary,

Thank you for your email reply.
The baggage wrapping services that you are referring to are not provided by airlines or airports, but by private companies.
Please rest assured, this experience is not typical of our usual performance. We look forward to rebuilding your confidence in our service and be assured we are all working hard to provide the high-quality service you expect when traveling on American Airlines.
Sincerely,
Michelle

Our experience was not typical!  I did find out there is a bag wrapping service at the FLL airport and will message them to make sure they can help!

It is 7:30 p.m. tonight (Tuesday) and our luggage has still not arrived in our stateroom.  I will really look strange wearing the same top and jean capris for 50 days without my 10 pounds of makeup and hair stuff. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! That is some stylish luggage you have...bet nobody mistakes it for theirs ;-) Good thing you're not schlepping your luggage from hotel to hotel. I do hope your luggage has arrived by now.. sidenote ~ interesting that it wasn't just one random bag damaged...gosh I dislike flying these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We still could have been more artistic! You are right! 3 bags of 5 checked affected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awful! American Airlines should do better.

    ReplyDelete