Monday, July 1, 2024

LIVING LIKE ROYALTY: HOHENZOLLERN PALACE OF SIGMARINGEN

 

Hollenzollern Palace in Sigmaringen, Germany

Metropol Apartments

Muhlstrasse 1

Tubingen, Germany

July 1, 2024

72F, sunny, but dark clouds and a few raindrops followed us.

 

It was a lazy morning because our train to Sigmaringen, Germany did not depart until later. The group had breakfast, a break for shopping and more coffee, then the usual run to the train station.

Breakfast at Collegium

Inside Collegium in Tubingen
TK had a pretzel, butter, and cream cheese



Tubingen

More coffee

Great department store

Dear Readers, come along with us to the palace!

After an hour and a half train ride, we arrived in Sigmaringen to see the Hollenzollern Palace. Its magnificence, splendor, and grandeur were evident today as we followed a guide speaking German. We had handheld guides in English, but I was trying to take pictures with the T7i, while holding my purse and dodging those who prefer to stand in front of my camera and the best shots. I say that lightly because I am sure I have done the same thing.

TK eagerly awaits entry to the palace

Sights one should see entering a castle/palace-weapons


For my brother

The Hohenzollerns were an influential noble family of strategists, diplomats, and visionaries. I remember a history teacher of long ago, either in France or high school speaking of the Hohenzollerns, and claims were made today that they had a greater influence than almost any other noble family.

 

I love this marble fireplace

View from window

Sitting area

Bedtime

Bath

Chair with inlaid pearl hunting scenes

Closeup of chair

Desk



This blog will be mostly photos so you will be able to see the grandeur we experienced today!

 

Flintlock like my Uncle Robert gave my 
father--from Middle East
Pearl inlay

More of the armory exhibit

Armory
The palace houses one of the largest private weapons and armor collections in Europe, comprising around 3000 rare and valuable exhibits. Seven hundred years of history of arms and armor.



Crossbows

Children's furniture

Kitchen tools

Oven 

Marble door frame

I'm hoping we can install a door like this

Chairs fit for a prince

Gaming table

 After our princely experience we were hungry. Consensus was a Pizza/Kebab fast food stop.

Pasams Pizza and Kebabs

Wrapping

TK's sandwich--Jim had one too
Hackfleischdrehspriess im Fladenbrot
minced beef, tomato, lettuce, cucumber, 
garlic sauce, on flatbread


Ann and Janie shared a Margharita Pizza


Not far from Pasam we enjoyed gelato again, salted caramel-TK; raspberry-Janie
Italian Eis Cafe

Raspberry Gelato

TK's Takes:  Finally able to try doner (the beef kebab sandwich, he really liked it.


Messages from our sons--First, I am grateful that they are reading the blog:

R: "Looks like you're getting your steps in according to the blog."

B: "I see you are busy running all over the place."
 
Today:     Janie:  10,605;  TK: 10,772 (he got more today because I spilled the cup of coffee  he bought for me on a run before we left the hotel. Being the very generous person he is, he went back and got me another cup. Although that might have been because of my sparkling personality before I have coffee in the morning)

                    

2 comments:

  1. The fireplace in the castle is similar to the California fireplaces put in homes in the US circa 1910 to 1920. Travel now with the latest SCOUS decision travel next year may be controlled by party affiliation. Your travels impress me. Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love gelato. Glad you found some!!

    ReplyDelete