Saturday, July 6, 2024

BACHARACH TO ERIE: ERIE GREETED US WARMLY!

Erie, Pennsylvania
Saturday, July 5, 2024
Mainz: 58F at 4:30 a.m./Erie: 80F at 4:20 p.m.

Bye Bye Germany
A Bacharach Sunrise: 5:46 a.m.  German time

Our alarm clocks  both went off at 4 a.m. German time so we could rapidly get ready for a long day.  By 5:15 a.m. we were bouncing our luggage over the cobblestone streets of Bacharach to the train station for our last train ride this trip to the Frankfurt Airport.

Our Global Entry Passport did not make the Frankfurt airport check any easier, of course. I forgot to take my laptop and Canon T7i out of my luggage when I went through security, so that caused a bit of a rigmarole, which everyone appreciated at 6:30ish in the morning.  I also got a very very personal pat down. Even tissue was not allowed in my pocket.  TK always sets off alarms with all of his metal parts. Nothing is ever simple.  

We got to our Gate on time and soon enough we were in the air for about 9+ hours.  TK's seat was changed (we paid extra for the aisle seats and we meant to sit near each other. Not today.)

Note to self: The Frankfort Airport does not have food or beverage shops once you pass through security--all that meant was that when we boarded the plane we had not had ANY coffee or water since our 4 a.m. wake up.  Grrrr.

I think it was about 10:30 a.m. when the airline coffee service rolled down the aisle, with lunch, roast chicken, mashed potatoes, fresh salad, a roll, butter, Le Vache Qui Rit cheese (laughing cow--and one of my favorites) and a brownie.  Three German teenage boys sat next to me and I gave them the brownie. They were very quiet and watched cartoons and slept.  It turned out they were on vacation with their parents to Orlando. I said, "Disney World?"  They smiled and said they did not know, it was a surprise. I thought that was very sweet.

Since I don't sleep on planes, I read a book (will add name later) for most of the 9 hours.  As we were flying, I was thinking, "I don't want to go on a long flight like this for a very long time. Oops, we are headed to England in September. Oh well."

Charlotte never fails to be interesting, whether driving or flying.  We had to go through so many hoops:
**First, Customs does not open we were told until 1 p.m. We arrived at 12:20 p.m. (BUT we were still on German time--). We were not allowed off the plane until 1 p.m. 

[Another note: the times are not adding up because by this time I got confused on US or German time--we really were on the plane for 9+ hours]


[Yet another note: If I were in Germany right now it would be 2 a.m. Sunday so please forgive the confusion] 

After customs we  had to pick up our checked luggage  and use Global Entry to go through security. Again, TK set off alarms and had to get patted down. 


By this time, it was almost 2 p.m., the time our plane to Erie started boarding. Do you think our Charlotte to Erie gate was nearby? Of course not. I bolted to the gate and by the time I got there, with "glow" running down my face, the gate people must have thought I was so haggard that they allowed me and TK to board after the wheelchairs.  Its a good thing we made it in time!  No bathroom breaks for us.

That flight is an easy hour and we landed safely in Erie and son Brian was waiting for us. And even though we are on German time and it is only 8 p.m. and we cannot go to bed yet (although I am close), I decided to do all my laundry!

Our new Starbucks mugs! 
Koln and Munich
#26 and #27 for our collection!

So, Dear Readers, I often forget to do the "last post," but here we are--safe and sound at home again! All eight weary travelers are back home! Thank you for coming along with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment