Monday, April 5, 2021

A WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA GETAWAY!

 Fairfield Inn and Suites

Williamsburg, Virginia

April 5, 2021

75F

Traffic!! I wonder if everyone in the world was going to Williamsburg.  Car packed, coffee cup full, and off we were in the Acura with me at the wheel for a big change at 8:20 a.m.!

It was great traveling weather, 42F and sunny when we left Erie. The roads were smooth sailing until the Pennsylvania Turnpike, where heavy traffic joined us. Breezewood was hectic. We stopped at a PA rest stop/picnic area south of Breezewood for our traditional tuna sandwiches by TK. From there it did not take long to get into the DC area and so much more traffic.  Cars and semis weaving in and out, speed limit changes, and slow downs caused by who knows what. This is the first time I have ever driven I-495, but I have witnessed so much TK angst that I insisted on continuing the drive. After the DC area, and a rest stop, I let TK drive the last 2.5  hours to Williamsburg. 

It has been at least 16 years since we took the Eastertime break to Williamsburg and I was reminded of what I love about this trip—the leaves are bursting out on the trees, the white and pink trees are blossoming, and the warmth emanates from the earth.

By 5:30 p.m. we were checking into the hotel. After leaving our bags in our room, we took a little tour of the area and were happy to see so many favorites still here. Captain George’s restaurant, Chickohominy Inn, and the General Store are calling our name!

We had an ice cream cone at the General Store and headed back to the hotel (by the way, our stay these five nights are at no cost, thanks to our Marriott and Hilton credit card points. We are changing hotels a couple time, but so what! We are still young.

Tomorrow will be full of photos of the flowers and trees and places we love!

 

TK’s Takes: He is glad I drove through the DC area. I was calmer than he.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment