Thursday, February 9, 2017

VOLUNTEERS, HIGHWAY DRIVING, AND CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA


Wednesday-Thursday, February 8, 9, 2017
Towne Place Suites by Marriott
Dade City, Florida to Mooresville, North Carolina
89 F to 45 F, sunny

Wednesday
Since Mary Lou and three of her TRR friends go to Daystar Hope Center in Dade City to volunteer in the used clothing sales section on Wednesdays, I joined them for their two hour shift. It was sort of like a small Salvation Army or a Goodwill store. Our job today was to sort the ladies’ and children’s clothing, making sure there were no spots, tears, or holes. We also arranged the clothing neatly according to color, with all the hangers going in the same direction. The task was not difficult. I observed that there were many women in the Center with their little children, looking for clothes. I felt it was important that the clothing looked well-arranged and neat—these people were worthy of thoughtfulness. I do volunteer work at home, but I have never worked in a store like this. One could purchase three tops for $1.50. Jeans, dresses, and other pants were $2 each. I am glad that I did this today—I think it is important to respect those who may not have what I am blessed with.

Mary Lou, Martha (NY), Barbara (NJ), Marilyn (OH), and I went to lunch at the Garden Restaurant afterwards to celebrate Barbara’s 75th birthday. It does not take much to get to know the residents of TRR and they have become quite dear to us. I was amused at their conversation as they spoke of a friend who is looking for a permanent home in central Florida, somewhere it is quiet after 8 p.m. when most of them go to bed. I am not in that spot yet. Neither is TK.

While I was “working,” TK was packing the truck for Thursday’s departure. We had dinner at Coyote Rojas again, a Mexican restaurant almost as good at Torero’s in Erie. The rest of the day was spent in conversation on the patio enjoying the 79 F weather with Mary Lou and Scorchy---we took one last look at the TRR gardens with azaleas in full bloom, cacti blossoms almost out, and poinsettias still a beautiful red.

Thursday
We left TRR by 8 a.m. There is not much to say about being in a truck on the highway for 12 hours---the people who cut in front of you, the lack of turning signals, those who stay in the left lane so one has to pass on the right, the zoomers, the sloths. Most of the time TK is patient, but not all the time. I give him a lot of credit for his driving skills!

I have never driven this Chevy Avalanche. The only time he let me drive his last Avalanche on a Florida trip was when I left my wallet in a fast food restaurant in South Carolina and did not realize the loss until 3 hours down the road. I had to drive the three hours back to the restaurant, and then all the way “forward” to where I realized my error and THEN on to Williamsburg, Virginia, arriving at midnight—that was about an 8 hour mistake. I am much more conscious of what I do with my wallet now. [Note: I do not think I exaggerated about this, but I did not check the blog from about 4 or 5 years ago when that happened.]
Most importantly, my wallet was turned in and safe and sound!! I was very lucky!

At least there was no rain today, because we have experienced very heavy rains in the past when we were driving home. Charlotte is the worst area on I-77-no matter what time of day there is always heavy traffic and today was no exception. There is a bypass now, I-485, but that offered no relief today. Someone, perhaps the aforementioned driver, gets very frustrated at stop and go traffic. We always try to stop north of Charlotte for the night on the FL to PA trip so the morning is a little easier. We hope to be home by tomorrow evening. West Virginia is always unpredictable, but TK thinks the weather will be OK.

We were both very tired tonight. Our hotel was not surrounded by restaurants so we ended up in Hangar 33, a bar/restaurant that was not too far from the hotel. It was definitely a bar with gals and guys in their 40s. While we were eating our burgers and fries, a disc jockey got started and was distributing papers to patrons. When he got to our table he didn’t say, “What are you old people doing here?” He asked, “Do you know what music bingo is? We are playing a game.” I thought that was so sweet. We were accepted right off! TK told him we would be leaving soon as we were travelers. Darn! They were playing for $30 in gift certificates!

I hope to put more photos in the blog when I get home—that sketchy Internet slowed me down.


Safe travels tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment