Saturday, February 7, 2015

AT SEA IN THE GULF--updated

Aboard the Carnival Dream
Saturday, February 07, 2015
74 F, sunny

AT SEA IN THE GULF
Aboard the Carnival Dream
Saturday, February 07, 2015
74 F, sunny
Yesterday, Friday, I woke up early (6:50 a.m.) and headed straight away to the pool area for a lounge chair. It was raining! I sat in a chair under a ledge for about a half hour and finally the rain stopped. By this time TK joined me and we found a good location near the Aft pool by the Sunset Bar and Tandoori Grill. I can spend hours in a lounge chair just reading.  As TK says, the two pools on this ship are small for the amount of passengers (I think 4000, need to check). Usually there are fewer children in an Aft pool, but not this time.

We went to the “Elite Party” for Platinum and Diamond passengers (we are Platinum with 12 and about 75 days aboard Carnival cruises). We have actually been blessed to travel about 322 days on cruise ships, and are “Platinum” or “Latitudes” on Carnival, Princess, and Norwegian Cruise Lines.

My first “cruise” was in August 1967 when I traveled transatlantic aboard Holland America’s Rotterdam to study in southern France for a year. One could take trunks as well as suitcases then and I needed to take books and clothing for a year abroad. At that time, I was very naïve, but I knew a good thing when I saw it. Being aboard such a magnificent ship (the Rotterdam) made me realize I wanted to this again!!  I returned to the U.S. in July 1968 and did not cruise again until 1983 with my Aunt Bernice aboard NCL’s Skyward.

Tim and I took our first cruise together in 1990 aboard Royal Caribbean’s Sovereign of the Seas. I really had to convince TK to sail. He spent four years in the Navy aboard the cruiser, USS Columbus, and wasn’t so sure he wanted to go asea again. After that vacation, he loved cruising too!

Anyway, back to the elite party---free drinks and appetizers are available, as well as entertainment. This was the first time we saw the Cruise Director, Hennie van Heerden, since we have not gone to any shows. The ship’s captain is Ettore Bovo. I spoke again with the Bar Operations Manager, Clifton Morrison. He was so helpful a few days ago when I had a little glitch with the beverage service.  TK and I enjoyed pina coladas without the rum! Especially thick and delicious! Donna and Lawrence sat with us, so we had some good unfiltered Lawrence laughs.

I went to brunch with Donna, Lawrence, Brian, and Nancy—Brian and Lawrence can make everyone laugh and the other four people at our table were not offended. Even the waiters think these two are funny. Wasanna, our favorite evening server, came by and gave everyone a hug. She is extremely quick and can do the repartee with Brian and Lawrence quite well. She remembers all our names and asked about Tim.

Our favorite saying (Brian, Donna, Lawrence, Nancy, TK, and I) is several versions of, “We don’t know who we think we are,” or “They don’t know who we think we are,” or, more confidently, “We know who we think we are,” and finally, “We are who we think we are.” All of this banter has come about because some people have a habit of being pompous when aboard cruise ships.  Our silliness prevents that illusion, but it is funny to observe different personality traits.  That said, I do think the Maitre d’, several dining room stewards, our cabin stewards, the Hotel Director, Hector Groves (thanks to Brian), and the Bar Operations Manager, Clifton have all become aware of us.

Today (Saturday), TK is not feeling so well. I hope it isn't anything serious. We did go to the Medical Center so he could get checked. He needs to rest. TK’s Take will have to wait.

Tonight at dinner Brian and Lawrence were in rare form, again.  They were describing their behavior in grade school and high school. It seems like Lawrence may have spent a lot of time in the principal’s office for behavior unbecoming a student. Brian wasn't an angel, but he said he got in trouble because he looked out for the underdog. Donna, a self-described “good student” wore an ensemble to school that makes her blush today, miniskirt—boots—and more. Nancy says she was a good girl, but did mention an antic—maybe something about forged hall passes.

I took some pictures of these friends for Colin and Gwenda and any readers who are curious about the characters we have encountered who make us laugh so much.

Aside to Colin: Thank you for arranging our beach time in Costa Maya—Steve and his waiters at Tropicana took very good care of us. Brian will relay the story of the “stolen” beach lounge chairs, I am sure.


Tomorrow we are back in New Orleans and we have plans for the French Market and the French Quarter!
Our stateroom #10261, looking out toward the balcony

Our stateroom, looking toward the door--the bath is on the right in the small "hallway," 
our closet area is on the left in the hallway
Brian and Nancy Kornegay from California in the Crimson Dining Room

Donna and Lawrence Bulington from Wisconsin

Main pool area/Carnival Dream

Guess who!


No comments:

Post a Comment