Sunday, January 15, 2012

TROPICAL TRAVELS!

Savannah, Georgia / January 13, 2012
Less driving today and the temperature got to 51F. Two hours to Columbia, South Carolina and we stopped at Fort Jackson, U.S. Army Training Base. Fifty percent of new Army recruits are trained here today. I met Stephanie Sapp, Museum Technician, at the Basic Training Museum. I talked with her before the trip and told her I wanted to do some research on my uncle, Robert Phillips. She was so helpful and I learned much more than I expected. He enlisted in 1941. From his photo, which I brought with me, she showed me that he had been in the 13th Armor Regiment.

While he was in that regiment (World War II), he was in Algeria and participated in the allied counteroffensive in North Africa. The regiment ended the war almost at the Swiss border in Italy. After that the regiment was part of the U.S. Constabulary in Germany from 1946 to September 1947. The museum was very well done and it gave me an idea of life on the base in the mid-50s and 60s when Uncle Robert was there. I would recommend a visit!

Tim and I went to Uncle Robert’s gravesite and the marker indicated that he served in World War II, the Korean War, and the Viet Nam War. I know he was in Korea in 1967 and was active military for over 30 years. I appreciate his dedication and service to our country. I’m grateful that Tim was willing to stop! We spent about 4 hours there. Tonight we are in Savannah, Georgia, and I think it is cold. Tomorrow, Black Shear.

Cocoa Beach, Florida / January 15, 2012
We visited my first cousin, George and his wife Phyllis in Black Shear, Georgia. Phyllis is the very best cook and we had a grand pork roast, real mashed potatoes and gravy, and orange Bundt cake with vanilla ice cream for dinner. George is 85 years old with great difficulty hearing and we get quite a kick out of the two of them. Originally from Toledo, Ohio, they have lived in Black Shear for 16 years. Their property taxes are $150 per year—wish I could say that!!

We were quite disappointed that the Broncos lost the football game even though they beat the Steelers last week. We were rooting for the Saints, too. George and Phyllis treated us to breakfast at Huddle House this morning and then we were off to Cocoa Beach, Florida. I was supposed to know that we crossed into Florida when Tim turned on the Margaritaville channel with Jimmy Buffett. It was 67 F. It’s 20 F in Erie! Tim is absolutely the best travel planner---our Marriott hotel tonight has two bedrooms.

We went to Ron Jon’s and then had dinner at Dixie Crossroads in Titusville, a seafood favorite. Earlier, we saw three cruise ships in the harbor preparing for today’s sails.

About cruise ships that hit reefs or sandbars and topple over. The image of the damaged Costa Concordia lying on its side is very dramatic. We know that ships leaving U.S. ports MUST have a safety drill shortly after leaving port and ALL passengers are required to attend. We are very confident that passenger safety is a priority on cruise ships. We have observed very serious demeanor during every safety drill that we have experienced. We do not understand the incident near the Italian coast and expect more information to be forthcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment