Monday, January 22, 2018

MONDAY IS WEBSTER WESTSIDE FLEA MARKET DAY!

Monday, January 22, 2018
Travelers Rest Resort
Dade City, Florida
80 F, Sunny

It’s Monday, time to hit the Webster Westside Flea Market, about 35 minutes away from TRR! Central Florida is very dry right now so the fields and grass were brown as we drove along. Everyone on the road seemed to be headed for the same place—hundreds of cars and thousands of people! Entrance fee is $3 for parking and we got a nice spot in the shade. Webster’s is open from 5 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Mondays only and even with our 9:30 a.m. arrival, we found a good spot to park. All four of us went our separate ways—I like to start in the open field where the antiques are and TK likes to look over the new items first. Scorchy and Mary Lou like shopping at their own pace. This flea market has been operating more than 50 years and has 35 acres of any item one can imagine, including fruits, vegetables, seafood, antiques, jewelry, watches, plants, firearms (old and new), rocks, baked goods, furniture, electronics, tools, dogs, birds, modified fire sticks, Yeti items, clothing, used books, records, cleaning supplies, bungee cords, and so much more. 

I was looking for World War I posters and Franciscan Apple ware-none of that to be found. I did see jardinières, railroad lanterns, Griswold pans, old stained glass lamps, architectural items (window frames, wrought iron, iron fencing), china, glass, Pyrex, old toys, all in the antique open field section. In the enclosed pavilions near the fields, I saw Star Wars toys, more antiques, military items, etc.

After about 2 hours with antiques, I headed for the pavilions with the new items. I found 5 novels by my favorite detective authors (Baldacci, Cussler). I did buy a rock for my brother to replace some of the rocks he lost--oh that was marbles. Just kidding, Brother--you will like this one! When I met up with TK, I saw that he bought me a World War I book of photographs.

I noticed that there were many dogs shopping with their owners. Most seemed well-behaved, most were small dogs, many were in strollers. I saw a dachshund with a visor cap on, a Chihuahua with a sweater. My favorite was the Welsh terrier that reminded me of our Airedale, PG. When I see so many dogs shopping, I do wonder how happy they are. I keep in mind that dogs love to be with their owner, so probably they are content. There were very few children. They would not be as content at a flea market. (http://websterwestsidefleamarket.com/

By 12:30 we were finished with the flea market and on our way to find a restaurant. I would like to point out to a particular driver that finding a restaurant while a truck is in motion is not easy. By the time one finds a restaurant in Webster, the truck is already in Bushnell. By the time one finds a restaurant in Bushnell, the truck is already in Brooksville.  Not mentioning any names—just sayin.’

We ended up at Sunrise Eatery in Dade City-Zephyr Hills, a good Greek restaurant with reasonable prices. It is always busy and TK’s Take today is that everyone in the restaurant was over 60 years old. That attests to good food at reasonable prices.








No comments:

Post a Comment