Sunday, January 28, 2018

FLORIDA MEANDERINGS AND A 50 YEAR FRIENDSHIP

Friday, Saturday, Sunday, January 26, 27, 28, 2018
World Golf Village
St. Augustine, Florida
57 F


As I write today, I can look out into a Florida preserve affected somewhat by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, some tree damage and water. The setting is at the home of my dear friend Judy who moved to St. Augustine last year from Nebraska. As the poets say, time melts away and we feel like the nineteen year olds who met in school in France when we are together. Last night we had dinner at Iggy’s in Fruit Cove, Florida on st. John's River , with two of her beautiful daughters, Natalie and Megan, Megan’s husband Shane, and three of her six grandchildren. The first thing Natalie asked was about what could I tell her about her dad, a question that took me right back to France and memories of how much her father adored Judy from the first time we all met in Italy while on a Fall break from school. 

It was such a sweet question that led to many stories. It seemed that Judy did not tell her daughters much about those halcyon days in Europe so long ago. The girls delighted in the tales of the Marseilles train station, how we skipped school for over a week and stayed near the U.S. Army's Camp Darby in Italy, the 6th Fleet and how what seemed like the whole U.S. Navy descended on Aix en Provence, , because they heard there were American girls there, dinner at the Captain's table on board the aircraft carrier, U.S.S. Roosevelt, and so many more. 
Easton and Callie enjoying a cotton candy milkshake at Iggy's--next time I want one!

All three of Judy and Chuck's daughters were state champion athletes and attended Division I universities, recruited and awarded athletic scholarships by Nebraska,  Temple, and WVU, . Meredy (living in Arizona  now) competed in the high jump, and both Natalie and Megan competed in volleyball. I don't think too many families have such bragging rights.

On Friday, the 26th, Scorchy drove his 30 year old, 200,000 mile Ford F350 diesel to their daughter Kathleen’s new home in Englewood, Florida, to deliver a sofa bed Mary Lou had bought for her. I restrained myself from writing goodbye notes to our sons, just in case [you may read between the lines here—ask me about the merge lane and Ford vs. cement truck]. I had a flashback to when we made a left turn across four lanes of oncoming traffic a few years ago and I don’t think I have ridden in that truck since then-until the 26th. Others have been known to hyperventilate while riding with said person. I admit I counted down the minutes (4 hours round trip) till we returned safely to TRR. "Drive friendly," says Scorchy.

Kathleen’s home is a one bedroom, one bath, perfect for her and very cute—I loved the lanai. She will be very comfortable there and she can walk to the beaches and the quaint downtown area from her home. We all went to lunch near Manasota Beach at the Lock and KeyThe shrimp basket was delicious. After lunch we walked across the road to the sandy beach. We saw people scooping the sand and rocks from the water’s edge and Kathleen told us they have underwater metal detectors and look for jewelry and money. It was too cool for swimming, but plenty of people were sunbathing.

Scorchy wanted to take the long way home so we drove through Venice, Florida – now we can say we have been in Venice California and Florida, but not Venice, Italy. Lots of traffic and many people on the streets. It was dark by the time we got back to TRR.

Saturday, the 27th, we went to the Pancake Breakfast, a fundraiser for the TRR firefighters and first responders. Lines were long. The firefighters, who are also served sausage, applesauce, and orange juice, were using five large portable griddles (about 2 ½ feet by 2 ½ feet—on wheels) to make the pancakes. It was quite a production.  I thought of my brother’s Maple Taste and Tour and how handy such a nice griddle would be, but they do not need one as big as that.

Since Mary Lou was feeling tired on Saturday after the breakfast, we cancelled our Kumquat Festival trip to Dade City and decided to start heading north. Mary Lou and Scorchy were really active with us this year and we really kept busy every day. After packing up and saying our good byes, we headed to St. Augustine to stay with Judy for a few days.  

Today, Sunday, we had lunch at Murray Bros Caddy Shack, and according to literature actor comedian Bill Murray and his five brothers, chef Andy, actors Brian, Joel, and John opened the restaurant in World Golf Village. I have to say the cheeseburger was excellent, juicy.  http://mbcshack.com/
Judy and I with a new friend outside Caddy Shack

Judy drove us to the St. Augustine Flea Market which has 500 vendors but is quite different from Webster and Fleamasters. There were fewer people and wider aisles, so no congestion. I found more replacement rocks for my brother there.

On the way back to her home, Judy drove through the historic area of St. Augustine, through narrow streets, alley ways, and one way streets. Many homes are either restored or in the process of being restored and I just love the history associated with this city, the oldest city in North America.

As I write this blog I think of Marisa’s words—about writing my personal reflection on what I am writing about—I have many excuses, including trying to be succinct, so perhaps when I return home I will reflect on this trip. While traveling, I feel the need to be in the moment.


TK’s Takes: He liked that Judy was driving in the narrow streets of St. Augustine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment